Myofascial Release – Myofascial Pain Therapy?
Myofascial pain syndrome is a chronic pain disorder in which pressure on sensitive points in your muscles (trigger points) cause pain in the muscle as well as referred pain. The syndrome typically occurs after a muscle has been contracted repetitively or associated with stress-related muscle tension.
Myofascial release massage therapy is a gentle and effective hands-on massage technique that can be used to treat myofascial pain.
Types of Myofascial Release Massage Therapy
Myofascial release massage therapy can be broken down into two categories:
- Direct release that is also known as “deep tissue myofascial release therapy” which involves the practitioners using force or weight to release the fascial with the aim at improving extensibility and mobility.
- Indirect release is a gentler method where the practitioner applies less pressure, encouraging the fascia to slowly ‘unwind’ itself until greater movement is achieved.
Benefits of Myofascial Release Massage
Myofascial release can have the following benefits
- Reduce pain
- Release knots/trigger points
- Improve movement and flexibility
- Improve muscle function
- Enhance circulation by breaking up the tight areas where blood flow may become restricted
- Reduce exercise-related soreness
Self-Myofascial Release and Foam Rolling
Foam rolling and self-myofascial release are all the rage and for good reason. It can have an immediate impact of muscle tension. It’s not just for athletes that want better performance, but can be a game changer for just about anyone. It can be done using foam rollers, myofascial balls, lacrosse balls, and myofascial release tools. There are many products available today on the market.
If you suffer from myofascial pain, book an appointment with one of our skilled therapists at Body Restoration for the best myofascial pain treatment therapy in Edmonton.